Executive Director, ULI Austin
The Urban Land Institute is the preeminent multidisciplinary real estate organization, facilitating open exchange of ideas, knowledge and experience among local, national and international industry leaders and policymakers dedicated to creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. Structured as a 501(c) (3), nonprofit, member-driven research and education organization, the Institute has more than 40,000 global members representing the entire spectrum of land use and real estate development disciplines, both in private enterprise and public service.
ULI’s strengthcomesfromthe collective intellectual capital and diverse on-the-ground experience of its membership. Members include real estate developers, builders, owners, investors, architects, public officials, planners, brokers, appraisers, attorneys, engineers, financiers, and academics. For these diverse constituents, ULI provides various educational programs, publications, forums and meetings, applied research, and advisory services.
ULI’s culture is focused on providing exceptional benefit to the member by leveraging its collective intellectual and experiential capital. The strength and value of the organization is deeply tied to connections made between members at all levels; ULI delivers its mission by inspiring, informing, and mobilizing its membership to improve the practices and policies that drive effective land use and urban development.
The work of ULI centers around five “pillars” or primary areas of programmatic emphasis: housing and communities, real estate investment and finance, sustainability, building successful cities and regions, and the practice of real estate development.
Austin, Texas has been a top ranked city over the past decade across every measure, and ULI Austin has been a successful partner in the growth and development of the Central Texas area. ULI Austin has established itself as the “thought leader” in local and regional development and land use issues and the premier real estate organization in Central Texas. ULI Austin membership has doubled in three years and participation in ULI Austin programs and initiatives has skyrocketed while the impact and visibility of the organization has increased dramatically, and the organization’s financial position is robust. For additional information on ULI Austin, please visit
www. austin. uli. org
Reporting to the EVP, District Councils, and Chair, ULI Austin, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the District Council’s program of work, including developing and executing strategies that manage the District Council and Institute resources, expertise, and leadership to constructively impact local and regional development issues and land use policies.
The Executive Director will be charged with the oversight and coordination of the various activities of the District Council, including programs, membership, corporate and program sponsorships, communications, public relations and general management of operations.
The candidate must have strong organizational and management skills, but at the same time must be able to “see the big picture” and think and act in a visionary manner. He or she must also have an entrepreneurial spirit, the ability to multi-task and respond to situations quickly and the ability to present to groups, manage public meetings and be the “face" of the organization. A background working with volunteers who include business professionals, public officials, corporate executives, and senior members of the real estate community is highly desirable.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement a program of work, budget and a staffing plan for the District Council that provides for clear outcomes and methods to measure success.
- Develop and promote strategies that direct the Austin Council and Institute resources, expertise and leadership to the issues affecting land use policies through education forums, community initiatives, conferences, meetings, programs, publications and other sources.
- Advance a comprehensive sponsorship program that provides a robust, sustainable platform for staff and programs, including the support and oversight of volunteers that are working to secure sponsors.
- Implement a comprehensive membership program that engages the membership committee as well as the YLG and other Committees in efforts to maintain existing members, expand new memberships, and encourage upgraded memberships, such as from associate member to full member; provide opportunities for active member voluntary engagement in our program of work.
- Foster and maintain key external strategic alliances with other professional, academic, public sector and non-profit organizations.
- Support the Chair, Advisory and Management and Governance Committees in administration, leadership development and succession.
- Oversee, with District staff, the implementation of the District Council’s program of work, including the following:
Programs and events throughout the region focused on, among other subjects, Real Estate Trends, Sustainability/SmartGrowth, Housing, Infrastructure and Capital Markets
Young Leaders Group Programs and Events
Policy & Practice Initiatives
Local Technical Advisory Panels
Local Member Product Councils (Residential, Commercial, others)
Women’s Leadership Initiative
Communications and Social Media
ULI Austin Annual Report
Manage the ULI Austin office and staff, currently two full time managers and two part time contractors.
Serve as an innovative model and expert resource for other District Councils across the country, especially as it pertains to the UrbanPlan program.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a well-regarded member of the land use and development community to expand upon the success of ULI Austin and its strong membership base. Requirements include:
- 10+ years’ progressively responsible experience in local real estate and land use, community relations and/or nonprofit administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate, urban planning or business/public administration or related field; an advanced degree is desirable.
- ULI member highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of theAustin real estate community, the Urban Land Institute and the ULI Austin District Council Strategic Plan and programs is highly desired.
- Highly motivated leader who thrives in a team environment; multi-task oriented; self-motivated and takes pride in his/her accomplishments.
- Ability to effectively manage a myriad of issues and to establish and meet priorities.
- Experience in the preparation and monitoring of annual budget and financial statements; fiscally responsible.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels, including but not limited to corporate leaders, politicians, educators, public officials, etc.
- Experience recruiting, managing, developing and leading a staff.
- Ability to plan and oversee high-quality events in support of the District Council.
- Ability to grow and retain membership and sponsorship base.
- Proven track record in strategic planning and execution of sound business plans.
- Ability to communicate at all levels openly and effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Highest level of honesty and integrity.
- Computer savvy, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability for moderate travel throughout the greater Austin region; periodic visits to ULI’s headquarters in Washington D.C.; attendance at the annual Fall Meeting and Spring Council Forums and periodic meetings with surrounding states and the North Texas, Houston and San Antonio districts.
Expand HR Consulting has been retained to assist ULI with this search. Please submit your resume and letter of introduction to Sharon Ossi, firstname.lastname@example.org subject line “ED, ULI Austin”. EOE/m/f/d/v.
• Post ID: 20650498 austin